Guiting Power, Barton & Hawling
"Guyting C.S. 351 A.D. 814 (C.S. = saxon charter) Gythinge. D (Domesday).
Getinge. Guytinge. P.C. 1221 Guttings. Guthynge
(1275-6). Le Gouting (1294). Getynges. Gittinges. This is a stream-name for the head water of the Windrush. The root was probably British, and was not related to Anglo Saxon, Gyte : flood. Geotan: to flow: to pour. M.E. gtite.
The terminal inge, pl : inges, ( for incg) was an ending for stream-names, as in Pilning ; Twyning. Cf. E.H.R. Oct. 1911, p. 826, by H. Bradley, LL.D." - Gloucestershire - Place Names, Baddeley
The name varied over time with the current Guiting Power being formalised in the 1940's. Research at the University of Nottingham records use of the name Gettinges Poer in 1220 (Book of Fees, 3 vols PRO London) and later Gettinge le Poers in 1287 (Placita de Quo Warranto, pub Record Comm) deriving from the le Poher family (Roger John then William) who held the Manor in the 13c.
"Within this manor, in the midst of an arable inclosure, the foundations of a chapel are visible, supposed to have
been the burying-place of the family at the Grange. It
was dedicated to Holy Trinity, and the adjacent brook is
now called Trinity ford, and probably gave name to the
old hundred, Hole-ford. The piece of ground between
the home and ruins still retains the name of the Bier-way Piece, and the immediate site of the ruins belongs to the
vicar" - History of the County of Gloucestershire 1803 description of Guiting Grange.
The first record of a Grange at Guiting was recorded c1162, belonging to the Benedictine Abbey of Winchcombe.
Castlett. (m.) in Guiting Power. D. Cateslat. A.D. 1177. P.R. (a. 22, Hen. II.) Catteslada. PI. C. Kadeslade. Catteslade. The prefix represents the p.n. Catt, (g.)-es. The suffix is probably from A.S. (ge)lad : a track, as in Framilade, Calflade, Lechlade, and Abload. Otherwise, it may derive from the weak form, Catta (g.) an, and A.S. slaed = valley. - From Gloucestershire - Place Names, Baddeley
Barton, a record exists from Berton(e) 1158.
"The Barton, or grainenclosure : from Anglo Saxon. bere : barley ; tun:ton, farmenclosure, or garner. Tune — dat : of Tun ; i.e. ' at ' is understood." - Gloucestershire - Place Names, Baddeley
A record exists of the Templars establishing two fulling-mills in the hamlet of Barton by 1185 - Dugdale, Man. (ed. 1661), ii, 529.
"Hawling. D. Hallinga. P.C. 1221. Hallinges. F.A. 1285 Hallingg. (LB. Winchc:) Hallyngg (1294). The terminal 'inga,' here without a suffix, probably stands for a known ending for stream-names." - Gloucestershire - Place Names, Baddeley
The root possibly "Hale, from Mercian Halh : West. Sax. Healh (dat. sing, heale), literally a corner, but usually meaning a grass-meadow, either flat or sloping, occurs in Gloucestershire quite as often on high ground away from a river, as on low ground near one ;' 3 alone, as in Hale-Lane" - Gloucestershire - Place Names, Baddeley
St Michael & All Angels 1907
Postcard of "Lower Guiting Church 1907" postmark 1908 - many thanks to Peter Weale
LG10 LOWER GUITING 21mm, seen in use 02.04.1902 - 03.11.1934
Codes seen A, B
Stone Pipe Company
For many years the general body of proprietors of the Waterworks Company and the town of Manchester and its inhabitants were, by clever trick and management, given over to the tender mercies of a small body of men, who were the owners of a quarry of oolitic sandstone in the West of England, from which they manufactured stone pipes, trading under the name of the "Stone-pipe Company."
A pawl and other unidentified metalwork finds from the site.